Are you passionate about sport and want to start a business in the sports sector? Do you want to get into sports entrepreneurship? This article presents 25 business creative ideas related to sport.
Aware of their sedentary lifestyle, the American is more numerous each year to take an interest in sport and to practice regular physical activity.
The sports and personal development market is booming and offers interesting business opportunities. It is a rapidly evolving market which is the subject of numerous innovations, both in terms of marketing and technology.
In any case, if you want to start a sport, start by carrying out market research.
Sports Sector in the USA: Some market elements
Sport is the number one leisure activity for American people. 26% of them consider sport as their favourite pastime, in front of reading, television or music. About 29 million people participate in sport at least once a week.
48% of sportspeople are involved in walking and running, which makes it by far the most practised sporting activity, ahead of cycling, swimming or even dancing and fitness. Running and the sale of running accessories is a particularly dynamic segment.
The USA is particularly well endowed with sports facilities. There are approximately 267,000 public or private facilities including football, rugby, tennis courts and even gymnasiums.
The main sports practised in the USA are, in order.
- running (jogging, jogging, walking),
- football (nearly 2 million licensees),
- Tennis (1.1 million licensees),
- Horse-riding (700,000 practitioners),
The prospect of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games should only strengthen the practice of sport and the consumption of sporting goods in the coming years.
Finally, around 200,000 people work in the sports sector in the USA.
25 Sports Business Ideas
1. Settle down as a sports coach.
2. Create an online sports coaching company, dedicated to women and postpartum fitness.
3. Create a YouTube channel of sports advice. See our article Create a YouTube channel and make a living from it.
4. To settle nature paths in the sport.
5. Settling down as a sports dietitian.
6. Settle down as a yoga teacher and open a physical and spiritual fitness centre.
7. Open or resume a fitness or bodybuilding room. Look for business opportunities near you by visiting the Transcommerce site.
8. Open a low-cost gym club.
9. Create an urban football centre, indoor football, five-a-side football…
10. Create a sports association. Youth and Sport approval will be obtained.
10. Create a sports communication consultancy agency.
11. Create a sports management consultancy agency to intervene with sports clubs and associations. The market for the distribution of sporting goods amounted to around 11 billion euros in turnover in 2017. Americans spend an average of 253 euros per year on sporting goods.
12. Create a sports store specializing in running and hiking.
13. Create a store specializing in sport’s shoes. The shoe segment is growing at around 7% per year, much higher than that of textiles, for example.
14. Create a store specializing in women’s sports. Indeed, female sports practice is growing very quickly, twice as fast as men.
15. Open a second-hand sporting goods store, on the model of CashConverters.
16. Open a cycle store. Sales of bicycles and accessories are experiencing excellent growth, around 6% per year, driven by electric bikes and mountain bikes.
17. Create a sporting goods rental business, ideally in a tourist area. Beware, however, of seasonality.
18. Create an e-commerce site for sporting goods. It is an attractive idea because it allows you to work from home, but it is often difficult to manage to live from it. The key is to work with SEO several months or even years upstream, for example through a WordPress blog.
19. Create a connected sportswear company (GPS, biometrics, like the Mac Lloyd start-up).
20. Create a social network of meetings between sportsmen practising the same activity.
21. Create a new sport, develop it and organize it in a federation.
22. Create a sports magazine, on a specific theme.
23. Create an ultra-complete blog on the theme of a particular sport. See our article Create and live a blog.
24. Create the most complete guide to hiking in the USA.
25. Write and publish a book on the sport. See our dedicated article.
Steps to start a business in sport.
Here are the main steps to start a business in the sports sector.
- Conduct market research (click on the link for more information),
- Write a business plan,
- Look for help or funding (if necessary),
- Choose your legal status,
- Take out professional liability insurance,
- Get started!