Fuzzy Logic is the name given to a mathematical theory. It started in 1961 when Azeri mathematician Lütfi Alasker created the foundations of Zade. As the name suggests, it is a kind of logic. Fuzzy logic is a type of formula that has intermediate values, which allows one kind of encryption to be transformed into another kind of encryption. When fuzzy logic is evaluated as an approach, it creates machines with human-like working ability.
Fuzzy logic is considered as the point where the machine and man are closest. As a concept, artificial intelligence is considered as the intersection point of mathematics, sociology, technology, medicine and science. Fuzzy logic comes into play to solve the problem encountered but when looking at its advantages, it reveals the closest results to human logic. Using human judgment and decision making ability, it can produce reasonable results in uncertain situations. Fuzzy logic was first used in the cement industry and water treatment systems.
How Fuzzy Logic Works
In mathematical terms, the classical logic working principle is formed with the values ”1″ and “0”. When an entity belongs to a set, it is expressed as “true”, that is, “1”. If it does not belong to a set, it is expressed as “false”, that is “0”. It seems impossible for verbal and human emotions to always follow this principle. For this reason, classical clusters approach may be insufficient. Alternatively, fuzzy logic comes into play. Opportunities other than “1” and “0” are also given opportunities.
Logic tells how we can transfer numbers in a certain way to solve a real life problem. It works with the possibilities offered by mathematics during the solution phase. Fuzzy logic works for the same purpose. There is a difference like this. It looks from a wider perspective and, unlike classical logic, works to add humanitarian situations.
If we examine in more detail an example, it is possible to measure how old you are. We can solve this not only by seeing your identity, but also by various medical models. When we get these results, it is inevitable to make a 100% judgment about age. However, if this proposition came about that the person was young, it would not be possible to answer exactly. Because the youth phenomenon is open to interpretation. Whether we are talking about a youth in a physical sense or a youth in an emotional sense may not be resolved. Although we get the data to answer this, this time we face the difference of human perception. Our proposition, which is expected to result objectively, cannot be subjected to the subjective of the person who created it.
What are the Advantages of Fuzzy Logic?
Fuzzy logic is an important area that has been able to go further than the space occupied by classical logic, takes the logic model that humans have in real life and use in most fields and reconstruct it on computers and machines. Fuzzy logic is used to solve the problems encountered like other mathematical applications, but fuzzy logic that operates differently than others has different features. What are the advantages of fuzzy logic, let’s examine.
- The thought system in the human structure is effective in processing verbal information. The human mind uses words. Because it has similar features in fuzzy logic, it can draw conclusions close to human logic.
- It is difficult and costly to access the numerical data needed to solve the problems encountered. In these cases, fuzzy logic can come into play and use human value judgments and thoughts to produce rational results even in unclear situations.
- Experts forming the fuzzy system may have non-numerical or mathematically expressed experiences related to the system. For example, when a parent who knows her children very closely is examined, she can estimate how many pages they can read every day from the books she gives to her 2 children to read. He can make a guess that is very close to reality. However, it is difficult to extract it as a formula. In cases where numerical data is not available, fuzzy logic may be helpful in transferring experiences to the computer.
- Since it has a way of working very close to the human mind, it is more understandable than many control mechanisms. It is not difficult to reveal the mechanism and math that continue to work in the back.
- Fuzzy logic can continue to be in harmony with complex and nonlinear functions in cases of unclear possibilities with its flexible structure.
- Fuzzy logic model can be developed with the spoken language in daily life. For this reason, while creating fuzzy logic, it provides the opportunity to work even by people who do not know about programming and system design.
- It also includes classical logic in fuzzy logic. Every case created with classical logic can be revealed with a fuzzy system.
Fuzzy Logic Application Examples
The first application on control within the framework of fuzzy logic was tested with a steam engine. In this way, it has been observed that the data can be easily processed on the computer with the linguistic rule approach. Control through a fuzzy logic was realized for the first time in an industrial phenomenon with a cement kiln control. New technologies have been developed by Japanese researchers and fuzzy logic has begun to move rapidly.
Today, fuzzy logic continues to come to life in many areas such as electronic control systems, automotive and home electronics. By adding fuzzy logic improvements to the home appliances we use everyday, perhaps, energy and time savings are achieved. As an example, washing machine design is a design model frequently given in this area. This design model, with its simplest definition, is an optimization ” improvement ” model. Because the demand of the developer is to know the capacity of the machine, the amount of dirty laundry and the hardness level of the water, and to create efficiency by ensuring that the machine’s spin speed is at a suitable value . If we examine one by one, fuzzy logic finds use in the following areas.
- The operation of the subways in transportation is controlled by fuzzy logic.
- All settings of television receivers are made.
- It is used in computers to control disc heads.
- Fuzzy logic plays an important role for the cameras to focus on images.
- It works with important innovations in devices such as air conditioners, dishwashers and vacuum cleaners to meet daily needs.
- Again, one of the important needs, the refrigerator is involved in preventing icing.
- Programming; used to control elevators, traffic lights, car engines, suspension and safety brakes.
- It has a big role in robot operation.
What does fuzzy logic mean?
Fuzzy Logic is the name given to a mathematical theory. As the name suggests, it is a kind of logic. Fuzzy logic is a type of formula that has intermediate values, which allows one kind of encryption to be transformed into another kind of encryption.
Fuzzy logic comes into play to solve the problem encountered, but when looking at its advantages, it reveals the closest results to human logic. Using human judgment and decision making ability, it can produce reasonable results in uncertain situations. Every case created with classical logic can be revealed with a fuzzy system.
In which areas are fuzzy logic used?
Today, fuzzy logic continues to come to life in many areas such as electronic control systems, automotive and home electronics. By adding fuzzy logic developments to the home appliances that we use every day, perhaps, energy and time savings are achieved. It has a big role in robot operation.