Are you passionate about travel and discovery and you want to create a business in the tourism sector? Do you want to find an original tourist concept? This article presents 25 ideas for setting up a business in tourism.
With strong growth America wide, tourism offers many business opportunities both in the USA and abroad.
However, tourism is a risky sector of activity and subject to strong variations.
- Seasonal variations,
- Variations related to the political or economic,
- Variations linked to travellers’ expectations and trends in destinations…
“static” actors or those who do not question themselves are therefore ultimately threatened.
Creating a tourist business can touch on different fields. The preparation of the stay, the routing solutions, the accommodation, the activities during the stay (sports and others), the memories of travel… in all cases and taking into account the strong competition, you will have to imagine an original and innovative tourist offer.
If you want to start a tourism business, start by taking stock of yourself.
- What are your skills and know-how?
- What languages do you speak?
- What do you like about tourism? Contact, discovery, culture, transmission?
- Where do you go / can you work?
American tourism is increasing by 7% on average per year, a strong rebound since the beginning of the 2010s. Europe and Africa are the destinations that are growing the most, especially around the Mediterranean basin. Spain is on the way to overtaking the united states for the place of 2nd tourist country. The USA remains n ° 1 in terms of a number of admissions.
Here are the main trends in American tourism.
- Certain segments are particularly well oriented. Eco-tourism, cultural trips (spiritual or historical pilgrimages), wellness trips, trips with friends, accommodation offering contact with the locals, etc.
- Travellers are becoming more budget conscious and willing to spend time finding the best prices,
- It is a market in the process of advanced digitalization. 90% Of stays and activities are prepared on the internet. Online booking platforms triumph and independent accommodation is threatened. Online testimonials and reviews are becoming essential.
- Virtual reality could further revolutionize the industry in a few years.
In this context, it will be necessary to stand out with an innovative tourism product and a successful internet strategy, whatever your project.
25 Tourism Business Ideas
Now, here are some ideas for starting a business in tourism.
1. Film your travels, create a youtube channel and monetize it.
2. Offer yoga stays in the countryside.
3. Create lodges or guest houses.
4. Create a giant plant labyrinth in tourist areas.
5. Open a tourist centre offering cooking courses for deaf and hard of hearing people.
6. Take over a hotel in a tourist area.
7. Offer tourism stays + photo and video learning internship.
8. Take over a campsite and create unusual accommodation.
9. Create an agency offering one-week detox cures.
10. Create a business of electronic postcards, listing the photos of all the cities and villages of the USA.
11. Create a travel agency specializing in new destinations (countries in the process of opening). See our article on setting up a travel agency.
12. Create an educational farm in partnership with a tourist location.
13. Create an internet comparator of the cost of destinations (countries).
14. Create a 2cv rental agency, for foreign tourists on vacation in the USA.
15. Become a lecturer on the theme of travel and meetings. It will be necessary to define a specific theme to be recognized as an expert in his field.
16. Open a local heritage museum.
17. Create a social network of travel souvenirs.
18. Settle down as a tourist guide. See our dedicated article.
19. Create a travel agency specializing in homestays.
20. Create a medieval restaurant with historical tales and stories.
21. Open a shop of local products and launch its artisanal canning factory.
22. Create a magazine about cycling.
23. Create a blog on tourism, on a particular destination or a style of travel. See our article to create and live a blog.
24. Edit a tourist guide presenting only surprising or exceptional addresses.
25. Write and publish a series of books on the theme of travel and American cultures. See our dedicated article.
Bonus idea: Create a retreat and meditation centre near the way of st. James.
How to Start a Tourism Business
Here are some of the essential steps to start a business in the tourism sector.
- Take stock of yourself, your expectations, your skills,
- Conduct a market study. Click here to read the method,
- Identify an original tourist concept and validate it with your future customers by a questionnaire,
- Start putting your project together; build a business plan,
- Think about ways to make yourself known, especially on the internet (essential for tourist activities),
- Seek help or funding if you need it,
- Choose your legal status,
- Take out professional liability insurance,
- Get started!