Do you want to improve the performance of your educational centre, school, college, university? So, open your mind to this new management approach called Educational management.
Companies are facing changes due to global dynamics and study centres are no exception.
Therefore, today I will explain how this social science will help you manage processes and resources in order to strengthen performance and achieve competitiveness.
Are you ready? I present the following points that will guide you during the post:
- What does Educational management consist of?
- Objectives of Educational Management.
- Functions of Educational Management.
- Importance of Educational Management.
- Educational Administrator Profile.
- To Conclude …
To start, I want to show you some reasons why it is worth implementing Educational management.
Educational management helps you improve the processes of study centres.
But, first I tell you that with management, good management will always seek to “Produce the maximum, with the minimum cost”.
This translates into achieving efficiency and effectiveness. For this reason, the way the company is managed determines its performance.
What is Educational management?
The performance of any organization depends on the proper use of the resources it has. These resources, and in general, the company are constantly changing.
It is said that everything is a system, and it is true, even schools are made up of elements related to each other for their good performance.
To achieve success, companies must adequately manage their resources and schools do not escape this reality. To achieve this, Educational management is necessary.
Educational management is a complex discipline that involves the educational, administrative and other disciplines, without losing its specificity (ontological level).
It is the science that is in charge of the management in the study centres orienting the efforts towards the fulfilment of the established objectives.
Understanding the school as an organization, where various actors intervene, highlights the current challenge of study centres, which is to achieve quality.
In this sense, management is focused on managing administrative, academic and teaching human resources.
In essence, educational management is the set of functions that are performed in order to offer a quality educational service. For this, there must be a complete integration of the different actors, technology and management practices.
Functions of the Educational management
The main functions correspond to those of the administrative process:
This is where the annual plan of the educational centre and the pedagogical plans are created. The objectives, goals and courses of action are defined in these.
In this process, the social, geographic, economic and cultural context of the community where the institution is located must be considered.
The activities are distributed among the work team and the resources are assigned to carry them out.
In assigning activities, the right person should be found, to carry them out successfully according to the objectives.
Of special interest is the allocation of resources to teachers, since they carry out the teaching process, the main educational activity.
To verify that the work is carried out according to what is defined in the annual plan and in the curricular project.
It must be a permanent activity to ensure order and discipline, values that are transmitted to people who receive training at the institution.
It allows the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the execution of the teaching plans and curricular projects of the study centre.
The assessment is generally done in two areas:
- About the teaching-learning process, to guarantee a quality education
- About the rest of the activities carried out in the institution.
Educational management Objectives
One of the objectives of educational management is to manage the resources of the study centre.
Among the objectives of the Educational management are:
- Develop planning that allows improving the service provided and that involves all members of the educational community.
- Efficiently manage the resources available in the organization, meeting the proposed objectives.
- Organize the activities that the different actors involved in the study centres will carry out.
- Improve the education service by detecting weaknesses and opportunities for improvement in time.
- Generate constant information for effective decision-making related to the educational institution and the service it provides.
- Achieve the proposed objectives in all areas of the educational system.
All these objectives can be summarized in one: Facilitate the teaching-learning process, making the most of resources.
Components of the Educational management
Unlike other types of management, in the Educational management basic elements intervene that affect the development of the objectives, some of them are:
- The mission and the objectives.
- The philosophical and psychological assumptions.
- The own resources of the educational process.
- The structure, culture and environment.
I will briefly explain each one of them.
The mission and objectives:
It is where the raison d’etre of the educational centre is expressed, towards whom it is directed and the objective pursued. The defined objectives must be reflected in all the curricular projects.
It refers to the fact that the management of resources to offer a service is explicitly defined in the management.
In educational management, the effective combination of human, economic and material resources will be sought to offer a quality educational service.
On the other hand, unlike other companies, long-term planning does not usually exceed three years.
These indicate the need to put the person at the centre of management, relating the student, the educational community, the environment and the board.
The resources of educational management:
The different types of resources that the institution has been detailed below:
Human or personal resources
They are different actors in the educational community. Among these are: teachers, administrators, workers, administrative staff, students, parents and representatives.
Human capital and the way it is managed will make a big difference in the performance of the company.
Material and technical resources :
It refers to all those that are used to carry out the functions, for example, the furniture, the infrastructure and the didactic material.
Functional resources :
They are those necessary for the functioning of human and material resources. These are time, training, and financial resources.
For example, it will be useless to have teachers but that they do not have the time to teach.
It is the component through which the functions are to be fulfilled. In it are:
- The elements that are the units into which the work is divided, for example, pedagogical coordination, direction, among others.
- The components that are the people that make up the units.
- The functions that are all the activities that are assigned to the people that are in the elements.
They are all the principles, values and organizational beliefs shared by the members of the educational institution.
They are all external agents that influence management, such as the community, socioeconomic conditions, among others.
Importance of Educational Management
The importance is that no company, whatever its type, will be successful if it does not manage its resources efficiently and effectively.
Analyzing study centres as an organization that requires strengthening its processes to provide good service is a great step.
Good administrative management, which focuses on analyzing information from stakeholders, operations and the environment, will help you make decisions.
In this sense, it will be possible to detect the areas susceptible to improvement in time and take the necessary corrections to provide a higher quality educational service.
Functions of the Educational Administrator
An educational administrator stands out for performing the following functions:
- Optimize the human, technical and financial resources available to the educational institution.
- Design the annual work plan for the educational centre.
- To constantly evaluate the pedagogical projects of the educational institution.
- Plan activities that integrate interest groups (teachers, students, family, institution staff) and thus improve the education service offered.
- Distribute the functions in the educational centre so that the proposed objectives are met.
- Monitor assigned activities.
- Evaluate the personnel comparing the results with the planned.
- Provide the resources to carry out the activities in the educational institution.
- Ensure compliance with regulations in the educational institution.
- Constantly train teachers and other staff.
- Promote relationships between the interest groups of the educational institution.
Conclusion on Educational management
All companies are systems that need to be understood for what they are, complex units with scarce resources. Educational institutions do not escape this reality, therefore, if they wish to maximize their benefits, they must implement resource management.
It is recommended to incorporate the management processes in order to improve the service they offer as an educational centre.
Without a doubt, by doing this, you will promote excellence and be able to face the changes that are generated worldwide.