Educational Management: Everything You Need To Know
Do you want to improve the performance of your educational center, school, college, or university? So, open your mind to this new management approach called Educational Management.
Companies are facing changes due to global dynamics and study centers are no exception.
Therefore, today I will explain how this social science will help you manage processes and resources to strengthen performance and achieve competitiveness.
Are you ready? I present the following points that will guide you during the post:
- What does Educational management consist of?
- Objectives of Educational Management
- Functions of Educational Management
- Importance of Educational Management
- Profile of Educational Administrator
To start, I want to tell you some reasons why it is worth implementing Educational management:
- Educational management helps you improve the processes of study centers.
- Good management will always seek to “Produce the maximum, with the minimum cost”.
- This translates into achieving efficiency and effectiveness. For this reason, the way the company is managed determines its performance.
What is Educational management?
The performance of any organization depends on the proper use of the resources it has. These resources, and in general, the company are constantly changing.
It is said that everything is a system, and it is true, even schools are made up of elements related to each other for their good performance.
To achieve success, companies must adequately manage their resources and schools do not escape this reality. To achieve this, Educational management is necessary.
Educational management is a complex discipline that involves the educational, administrative, and other disciplines, without losing its specificity (ontological level).
It is the social science that is in charge of the management in the study centers orienting the efforts towards the fulfillment of the established objectives.
Understanding the school as an organization, where various actors intervene, highlights the current challenge of study centers, which is to achieve quality.
In this sense, management is focused on managing administrative, academic, and teaching human resources.
In essence, educational management is the set of functions that are performed to offer a quality educational service. For this, there must be a complete integration of the different actors, technology, and management practices.
Functions of The Educational Management
The main functions correspond to those of the administrative process:
This is where the annual plan of the educational center and the pedagogical plans are created. The objectives, goals, and courses of action are defined in these plans.
In this process, the social, geographic, economic, and cultural context of the community where the institution is located must be considered.
The activities are distributed among the work team and the resources are assigned to carry them out.
In assigning activities, the right person should be found, to carry them out successfully according to the objectives.
Of special interest is the allocation of resources to teachers, since they carry out the teaching process, the main educational activity.
To verify that the work is carried out according to what is defined in the annual plan and the curricular project.
It must be a permanent activity to ensure order and discipline, values that are transmitted to people who receive training at the institution.
It allows the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the execution of the teaching plans and curricular projects of the study center.
The assessment is generally done in two areas:
- About the teaching-learning process, to guarantee a quality education
- About the rest of the activities carried out in the institution.
Objectives of Educational Management
The aims and objectives of educational management should be clear to you before you implement any management approach in education centers. One of the objectives of educational management is to manage the resources of the study center.
The following are the aims and objectives of Educational management:
- Develop planning that allows for improving the service provided and that involves all members of the educational community.
- Efficiently manage the resources available in the organization, meeting the proposed objectives.
- Organize the activities that the different actors involved in the study centers will carry out.
- Improve the education service by detecting weaknesses and opportunities for improvement in time.
- Generate constant information for effective decision-making related to the educational institution and the service it provides.
- Achieve the proposed objectives in all areas of the educational system.
All these objectives can be summarized in one: Facilitate the teaching-learning process, making the most of resources.
Components of The Educational Management
Unlike other types of management, in Educational management basic elements intervene that affect the development of the objectives, some of them are:
- The mission and the objectives.
- The philosophical and psychological assumptions.
- The own resources of the educational process.
- The structure, culture, and environment.
I will briefly explain each one of them:
Mission and Objectives
It is where the raison d’etre of the educational center is expressed, towards whom it is directed and the objective pursued. The defined objectives must be reflected in all the curricular projects.
It refers to the fact that the management of resources to offer a service is explicitly defined in the management.
In educational management, an effective combination of human, economic, and material resources will be sought to offer a quality educational service.
On the other hand, unlike other companies, long-term planning does not usually exceed three years.
These indicate the need to put the person at the center of management, relating the student, the educational community, the environment, and the board.
Resources of Educational Management:
The different types of resources that the institution has been detailed below:
Human or Personal Resources
They are different actors in the educational community. Among these are: teachers, administrators, workers, administrative staff, students, parents, and representatives.
Human capital and the way it is managed will make a big difference in the performance of the company.
Material and Technical Resources
It refers to all those that are used to carry out the functions, for example, the furniture, the infrastructure, and the didactic material.
They are those necessary for the functioning of human and material resources. These are time, training, and financial resources.
For example, it will be useless to have teachers they do not have the time to teach.
It is the component through which the functions are to be fulfilled. In it are:
- The elements are the units into which the work is divided, for example, pedagogical coordination, and direction, among others.
- The components are the people that make up the units.
- The functions are all the activities that are assigned to the people that are in the elements.
They are all the principles, values, and organizational beliefs shared by the members of the educational institution.
They are all external agents that influence management, such as the community, and socioeconomic conditions, among others.
Importance of Educational Management
The importance is that no company, whatever its type, will be successful if it does not manage its resources efficiently and effectively.
Analyzing study centers as an organization that requires strengthening their processes to provide good service is a great step.
Recommended Reading: Public Administration: Things You Should Know
Good administrative management, which focuses on analyzing information from stakeholders, operations, and the environment, will help you make decisions.
In this sense, it will be possible to detect the areas susceptible to improvement in time and take the necessary corrections to provide a higher quality educational service.
Functions of the Educational Administrator
An educational administrator stands out for performing the following functions:
- Optimize the human, technical and financial resources available to the educational institution.
- Design the annual work plan for the educational center.
- To constantly evaluate the pedagogical projects of the educational institution.
- Plan activities that integrate interest groups (teachers, students, family, institution staff) and thus improve the education service offered.
- Distribute the functions in the educational center so that the proposed objectives are met.
- Monitor assigned activities.
- Evaluate the personnel comparing the results with the planned.
- Provide the resources to carry out the activities in the educational institution.
- Ensure compliance with regulations in the educational institution.
- Constantly train teachers and other staff.
- Promote relationships between the interest groups of the educational institution.
Conclusion on Educational Management
All companies are systems that need to be understood for what they are, complex units with scarce resources. educational institutions do not escape this reality, therefore, if they wish to maximize their benefits, they must implement resource management.
Recommended Reading: Supply Chain Management: Definition and Process
It is recommended to incorporate the management processes to improve the service they offer as an educational center.
Without a doubt, by doing this, you will promote excellence and be able to face the changes that are generated worldwide.