The pandemic process has significantly affected the education process in our country as in the whole country. In order to prevent the spread of the virus, it was decided to close schools and in this process, digitization in education came to the fore. Trainers started to offer distance education.
Distance education, in its simplest definition, is that people receive education over the internet regardless of time and place. In this process that we have to stay at home, distance education has contributed to the education not to be interrupted.
Distance Education Benefits
- The lack of space and time is a great advantage. The person can attend the training at any time and at any time.
- Since distance education is done over the internet, the training videos are usually recorded and the person can reinforce what they have learned by watching the videos over and over again.
- It ensures that our teaching process is not interrupted when we need to stay home (such as a pandemic).
- One of its most important advantages is that it provides equal opportunities. Individuals can contribute to their personal development by participating in training from anywhere in the world at any time.
- Individuals with social anxiety disorder or withdrawn may hesitate to ask their teachers in the classroom environment, while individuals can ask questions more easily in the distance education process.
- Some distance education offers a certificate opportunity, providing an important alternative for career thinkers.
- Using advanced tools and materials for students is also an important advantage of distance education.
- One of the most important contributions of distance education is the ability to access many students at the same time.
- It does not cause transportation problems and costs.
- Students who work in a tiring job can listen to their lessons at home after resting.
- Individuals with physical disabilities may also experience difficulties in coming to school. Distance education provides a great advantage in this regard.
- It contributes to the continuing education of individuals who cannot complete their education for any reason.
- The fact that the certificates issued by some institutions are also valid abroad can be an important advantage for those who think about a career abroad.
Disadvantages of Distance Education
There are disadvantages besides advantages of distance education such as lack of time and space, providing certificate opportunity. We can list a few of them as follows;
- Distance education may be insufficient for the courses that should be taught in practice or on the materials such as cadavers.
- Due to the density in the system, technical problems may occur.
- One of the most important problems is the connection problems and power cuts during the exam or homework times.
- Using a computer for a long time may cause eye problems.
What is Distance Education?
Formal education is the education given within a specific program in schools or institutions that have the quality of school. In this type of education, there are steps such as preschool, primary education, secondary education and higher education. In formal education, where individuals of the same age group receive the same type of education in a classroom, space, time and attendance are mandatory. Failure of students to attend classes can cause repetition.
As formal education is given in a certain class, the friend environment provides the sharing of notes among students. Students learn the importance of teamwork. Students are better motivated by formal education, pay more attention to their lessons and homework. Formal education is essential for applied lessons and lessons on materials such as cadavers. However, the lessons missed in formal education can only be compensated by giving the same lesson again, and the necessity of space and attendance is the disadvantages of formal education.
Each type of education has advantages as well as disadvantages. Efficiency from education depends on lifestyle and learning style. For this reason, if we present a few suggestions:
- Lessons taught by teachers in classrooms can be videotaped. Thus, both the students who missed the lesson will not be left behind by watching the video, but the students reinforce what they have learned by watching the videos over and over.
- Lecture notes can be given digitally to save paper. For those who like to study on paper, notes can be given as an output. So it can be left to the discretion of the students.
- The instructors can make live lessons with experts on the subject they will tell with video conferencing methods.
- Since each individual’s learning style is different, students can be given the right to choose the type of education. (Formal or distance education)
- Formal education and distance education can be given together in areas that require practice and laboratory, such as the health sector.
As a result, everyone’s lifestyle and learning style are different. Accordingly, different rates of efficiency are obtained from each type of education. Which type of education do you think is more effective?